Sunday, January 04, 2009

Breaking News: relaxing helps keep migraines at bay

Yeah, who knew? In my ongoing love affair with my new iPhone, MN recently downloaded the "Custom Hypnosis" application from iTunes on a complete whim. I just tried the lite (i.e. free) version to start, which is a sleep program. MN was having a completely wonderfully productive and pleasant afternoon yesterday, with sunlight streaming through all my southern-exposed windows. Then that "oh shit" moment hit, and I knew I'd reached my limit for the day and absolutely needed to lie down or face dire migraine consequences. Rather than give in and nap - I really hate sleeping in the daytime - I tried the hypnosis app. Having been hypnotized before (with chronic pain, one tries everything...I would go to a witch doctor if I knew where to find one. Maybe Queens?) I wasn't sure what to expect with a generic hypnosis coming out of my phone, I mean, really? But I settled in and it was quite wonderful. I opted for the long program of 20 minutes and after the time was up I switched to some white noise (another useful iPhone application) and continued my chilled out state.

Happily, I can report that I never succumbed to migraine. The only down side was that I was super-awake the rest of the night so my sleep cycle is a bit off. Apparently, one hour of hypnosis is equal to four hours of regular sleep (or so I've read on multiple websites, but who knows). What I do know is that I will be using hypnosis more in the future. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you need the IPhone or can you download it to any MAC? Just curious.